Tuesday, December 17, 2013

When Missionaries Call Your Church

I was born again in a Missions Minded Church (Grace Baptist Church - Syracuse, NY). My Pastor at the time was Gary Welling. Even to this day the man is a missions minded machine! That I know of - his ministry has produced 3 missionaries on the field and countless of dollars sent for the cause of Christ.

Having said that, I also consider myself a missions minded pastor. My first and only pastorate as of today was at a church that supported missionaries on a monthly basis as funds permitted. However, the history of our church's hospitality regarding housing missionaries while at our property was terrible. No, I mean it....TERRIBLE. Now that I am no longer the pastor - I cannot tell you what the church will do, nor how it will treat missionaries.

I can tell you that I have had some missionaries that have been through that cause me to wonder what exactly are we doing wrong - having attracted such men. The phone calls come in and they are scripted. Nothing is from the heart on those men. Everything is choppy and curt. They want to come in and present their calling. They do not ask how they can be a blessing to the church. They handle the objection with scripted redirects.
Me: We are not financially able to support any more missionaries at this time and we are actually in a really bad time with the finances of the church in general.
missionary: well, let me come in anyway and then you can always consider us later for monthly support.

or
Me: we are going through something right now and it wouldn't be the best time to bring in a missionary until this blows over.
missionary: well, I will be in the area for ___, _____, and _____. So, what Sunday is better for you?

or

Me: Sure, we would love to schedule you to come and fellowship with us.
Missionary: what other churches in the area would be willing to schedule me?
Me: I really don't know.
Missionary: Well, could you call them and schedule me in?

Now, I work on the side in Direct Sales - selling CUTCO Cutlery. I TOTALLY understand what they are doing. However, since when did Missions become sales?

Instead of having a missionary come in with a programmed sermon/presentation - how about learn how to minister to the Pastor - who is a missionary to THAT particular field himself? Sure, the missionary may have had a bad meeting the church before, but the Pastor and Church they are currently at has NOTHING to do with that.

Missionaries need to remember that they are MINISTERS.

I recommending you read this post by Jimmy Reagan. Excellent points!
http://reaganreview.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/missions-minded-pastor-or-tyrant-independent-baptist-truth-revolution-7/

No comments: