Friday, September 25, 2009

Stay In Your Lane



“Stay in Your Lane”

II Timothy 4:1-8

(preached in 2005 at Victory Bible Baptist Church – Porter Corners NY)



Paul was writing to his young understudy and son in the faith, Timothy, for the second time. Paul was writing under house arrest in Rome and fully aware of his near death. Soberly, he penned these important words to Timothy.

I. Paul’s Admonition – II Tim 3:14 – 4:2

A. Stay Faithful in the things you have taught

B. Remain Steadfast in the Word of God and PREACH with all authority and doctrine to perfect the saints – Eph 4:12

II. Paul’s Alertness

A. For the time WILL come – II Tim 4:3-4

B. End Time Attitude – II Tim 3:1-13

C. BUT WATCH THOU in all things II Tim 4:5, I Peter 5:7 – BE ALERT…BE SOBER

III. Paul’s Achievements

A. I have faught – II Tim 4:7

B. I have Kept – II Tim 4:7

C. I have Finished – II Tim 4:7

1. A few years ago a man was running in the special Olympics. He was just about to pass the finish line, he stepped out of his lane and was disqualified. He ran well, but did not finish.

2. Paul was reminding himself that the finish line is before him and to stay in his lane 6-7

a. By telling Timothy, Paul was able to re-affirm, remind and regroup himself as he ends his ministry

IV. Paul’s Assurance (V8,17,18)

A. Because I have FINISHED and am FAITHFUL “I will receive the crown” (Phil 3:9-14)

B. Paul left no room for error. He left no room for compromise. He could resolve himself to stay faithful. To endure HARDNESS II Tim 2:1-5

V. Paul was ABANDONED by friends but was not alone

A. v10 Demas took off

B. v10 Crescens flew the coup

C. v10 Titus got called away

D. v12 Tychus was needed elsewhere

E. v14 Alexander stabbed me in the back

F. No Man stood by me – everyone took off

G. BUT – II Tim 4:17

1. NOT WITHSTANDING The Lord stood by me

2. AND strengthened me

3. I was delivered – Acts 27 “be of good cheer”

VI. Paul’s Appetite (V.13)

A. Bring the parchments – Bring me my Bible. I want to read the Word of God.

B. Oh that we would, at the end of our life, find freedom, comfort, companionship, and satisfaction within our Bible.

1 comment:

Seeking His Grace said...

Well Amen! Bro Tim. I hope you are enjoying "Courage to Change" as much as i am enjoying "Warnings and Hope From a Lighthouse"...what a blessing....Preeeaaach!