Monday, September 28, 2009

The Lack of Teaching and Being Taught


First thing I have noticed among my IFB associates, is their refusal to be taught. Growing up, I remember foolishly making the statement, "I DON'T NEED A BIBLE STUDY...I NEED PREACHING! PREACHING SAVES THE LOST." Yes, preaching does work with the Holy Spirit's convicting and wooing to redeem the lost. The preaching of the cross is effective. However, in the same token, what we lack in the "GREAT COMMISSION" is what was stressed more by Paul and Peter and exemplified by Christ himself...TEACHING. Christ took every opportunity He could to TEACH the men who left all to follow Him. He taught them simple things. He taught them hard things. He taught them things they did not understand. He taught them things they would NEVER understand. He taught the multitudes. He expounded the Word of God to the Rulers in theTemple at a young age. He taught Nicodemus. Christ was known not so much as a PREACHER, although he was, Christ was a RABBI; that is to say, a teacher.

Preaching has its place. I agree. I am horrified that we "break in" our men who have surrendered to Pastor, by teaching them how to PREACH. I can recall the first opporotunity I got to PREACH. I went through my Bible, and put together the best sermon I could muster. I was gonna preeeeeeeeeeeeach amen! I "mounted" the pulpit, pulled out my notes, and began to teach. I didn't mean to. I wanted to preach! I began to teach about making Godly decisions and trusting the omnipotence of God, never going where God didn't lead, and taking a stand against opposition even when it comes from your own family and friends. When I got done, I stepped off the platform, ran to the bathroom, and wept because I didn't hear an ounce of AMENs. My BIG CHANCE..and I flopped. When I finally gained composure, I walked out of the bathroom and there stood my father with tears in his eyes. He told me that was one of the best LESSONS he has ever heard. He told me that it was clear that my gift is not PREACHING as much as it is TEACHING. I went back to the auditorium to hear the pastor preaching. He was making a point that "THIS PULPIT IS FOR PREACHING! THE WORLD NEEDS PREACHING! CHRISTIANS WON'T GET RIGHT WITH GOD BY TEACHING, it MUST BE PREACHING!!".

I constantly questioned my desire to be a Pastor because I couldn't preach like they could. I couldn't hoop and holler without messing up my words and mumbling everything out. I couldn't FLOW. Teaching though, I could get my point accross. It drove me to tears every week when I would attempt to "PREACH" to the Jr.Church kids. They would laugh as I sounded like Porky Pig instead of like "JACK HYLES". I had to learn several lessons, one of which was that there are various kinds of preaching styles. The second lesson I learned is that if a Pastor only PREACHES and never Teaches, he is not a good pastor at all. I believe it was Jack Hyles who said, "if you teach when you preach you are effective. If you PREACH when you Teach, you are shallow in your walk with God". My friend and former pastor, Mike Franklin said, "teaching is a good indication you are being led of the Holy Spirit". One of the Holy Spirit's priorities and ministry is to TEACH us all things.

There is something to be said today of people who "do not endure sound doctrine" and would rather turn to "spectacles" and entertainers than to hear the TEACHING from the Word of God. I am not referring to the lost as much as I am to the believers. We would rather go to hear someone hooping and hollering and think that God is all over it because we can scream and sweat rather than effectively and systematically expound on the Word of God. It takes MORE effort to teach God's Word than to PREACH God's Word. It takes MORE dedication to TEACH God's Word than it does to "BLOW IN, BLOW UP, BLOW OUT".

Yes, PREACHING has it's place. However, we must not limit ourselves to PREACHING. We must not LIMIT ourselves to TEACHING.

Pastors who never TEACH are doing a grave injustice to their congregants. They should realize the Great Commission COMMANDS us to Teach. Our Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches are dying on the vine because they only get preaching. WHERE is the nurturing? Where is the EXPOUNDING. Where is the Teaching? Sunday School attendance is down because people don't get the importance of it. They are PREACHED to in Sunday School, AM service, PM service, and depending on whether or not the church has prayer meeting at the mid-week service, they are PREACHED to/at and not TAUGHT. Does not the Bible say that one of the "qualifications" mentioned for the office of the Pastor is that he must be APT to teach?

I have witnessed sunday school teachers "prepare" for thier class by opening the packet of material, choose the flannel graph people, and never once look at the GUIDELINE lesson to "GEAR IT" for the children they have been ENTRUSTED to teach. The lack of ability to teach is astounding.

Recently, a man in the church approached me and said, "pastor, I just want to thank you for being attentive to us as a congregation. Sometimes when you are preaching, I can see it in your eyes. You look at us and realize that we are not getting it...and you STOP. Change gears, and TEACH us. I LOVE it, because when you do, God ALWAYS has something for me. It is like God tells you, hey...you....So and so needs this...say it...". I am not trying to brag here. I am not trying to compare myself to others. But, hello?! I felt guilty for every time I preach and don't stop to "chase that rabbit" when I "hear the coon dogs howling".

The inability to TEACH is mostly because people have never been taught. We mimmic what we have seen done. We know to "get down on a knee" when we "pop the question" to our girlfriend. We know to "tap" the side of the appliance when it is on the fritz. We know to let out a "ahhhhh" when we take a sip of a cold glass of water or tea on a hot day. We do things out of "tradition" rather than what we desire. An unchurched, and as far as I know, unconverted lady stopped by to talk to me about the building that is nearly completed, and she just let out an "AMEN". I took notice to that. She got all red in the face, and said "where did that come from?". I told her it came from "expectancy". It is like this guy at church, Evan, he says this ALL the time...."Coke coke coke coke coke pepsi". 9 out of 10 times, we will say COKE because it is what we have heard more of. We MIMIC.

So, if all we do is get around PREACHING and NEVER teaching...we will do what? TEACH. It will be our primary response to things. PREEEEEAAACH!! When was the last time we heard someone say TEACHHHH!!? I am certain it has been a while. We imitate. We shouldn't imitate. We should demonstrate that what we really are. People who have no leading to teach, should not use that opporotunity to preach. Sit down. Hush up.

The Bible says there are those who SHOULD be able to TEACH, but can't because they never learned. They must be TAUGHT again. (Hebrews 5). I am finding it very troubling that we have such inadequate teachers in our "Independent Fundamental Baptist" Circles. YES. The preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness. Indeed. However, seeing that Christ spent MUCH of his time teaching, I also must do the same if I expect those whom I influence for Christ to grow.

5 comments:

Warning and hope from a lighthouse said...

LOL Bro Franklin....Sometimes even a pig finds something worthwhile. HAHA.

Don't tell anyone...but...I think I am reforming again....(uh-oh)

Warning and hope from a lighthouse said...

What I have learned in my "long life" is to always give room for learning plateaus and human error (which includes balking...rebellion....and confusion).

A good teacher/leader never gives up on someone. Like a wise Hall of Fame Catcher once said..."it ain't over til its over"

Warning and hope from a lighthouse said...

Another thing I have learned is that each person is given knowledge and ability according to the gift that is bestowed (KJV word) on them. Not everyone is going to fit the "reformed" mold. Not everyone is going to fit the "IFBX" mold. Not everyone is going to agree with every aspect of things. However, each and everyone should be "FULLY persuaded in his own mind" having "searched out the Scriptures to see whether those things are so" and to "Study to shew thyself approved UNTO GOD....RIGHTLY dividing the word of truth"....having "worked out their own salvation with fear and trembling". There was another phrase I was going to add to this...but I cannot remember it at the moment...but basically...."prove the armor and weaponry" before advancing to "face giants".

ok...who hijacked my brain?

Seeking His Grace said...

Amen...Bro. Tim...I just talked to my preacher about almost the same thing....i know im called to preach but "TEACHING" comes so much more natural and many times that is, if you will my "Preaching" style...Thank you Preacher for Teaching us a valuable lesson......also i have a blog...at present I am using "Our Family Time With God", a devotional...if interested just goto...http://stillwatersflowing.blogspot.com...to view ( daily )

Warning and hope from a lighthouse said...

SeekingHisTruths, have I met you in real life? I think I have.