Thursday, October 18, 2012

Strife And Scorning



Pr 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

A few years ago I was drawn into an online religious/”Christian” forum. I originally went to this site while I was just coming out of college. I took it upon myself to defend the faith and stand up for who was then my pastor. There was such filthiness and vulgarity being shared across the screen and I just knew it was all upon my shoulders to preach holiness, godliness, righteousness and the gospel for Christ’s sake. It became troubling to me that the majority of those who were causing the trouble were professing believers. It didn’t take long for me to crawl down into the muck and mire and fight it out fist to cuff with all who would join in the fray. I spent numerous and precious hours on that site and finally, after several attempts, I was able to break loose and haven’t returned to that particular forum.
However, another outlet arose and I jumped in with both feet- ignorant of my transference of “addiction” from one vice to another. Yes, I am talking about Facebook. I became the defender of truth against the wickedness of Calvinism, post modernism, and whatever other ism that was out there. I have foolishly fought family, friend and foe. About a year ago, I began looking at my life and I realized that I had become a negative person inwardly. I had become one who thought that fighting was the only way of life. No, I didn’t wake up to fight, but since I was awake why not stir up some controversy! About a year ago, I determined in my heart that I would stop purposefully in creating or continuing drama. So, for a whole year, I was drama free. I avoided contentious comments and articles people would post. I took the high road. If someone tried to lure me into the fray, I would avoid it. I ran from it. However, something happened to that focus and about a week ago, I found myself face to face with my past.
I posted something with every intention of being an encouragement and a blessing. One person, having a really bad week, commented on it and I was immediately up at arms and in full battle mode. I thought I was passed that mindset but there it stood glaring in my face, as it were. I didn’t notice it until I was already involved. Contention will find you. I went to the scriptures to find solace and instead was convicted beyond measure about my past behavior.  
                Pr 15:18 A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.
Pr 16:28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.
Pr 17:1 Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife.
Pr 17:14 The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.
Pr 17:19 He loveth transgression that loveth strife: and he that exalteth his gate seeketh destruction.
Pr 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.
Pr 22:10 Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Pr 26:17 He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.
Pr 26:20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.
Pr 26:21 As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.
Pr 28:25 He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the LORD shall be made fat.
Pr 29:22 An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression.
Pr 30:33 Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.

Strife is a terrible word, isn’t it? It is a terrible act. God tells us that he hates those who cause division in the body. Strife isn’t always the primary purpose to every act, but it is usually the most dominant. James 4:1 tells us that wars, fights, rumors of wars, divisions etc they all come from our flesh. They come from our old man. Strife; it’s not something to boast ourselves in.
Sadly, the person who purposefully causes strife falls under a category that is just horrible to even admit- Scorner (scornful).
Pr 9:7 He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.
Pr 9:8 Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
Pr 13:1 A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.
Pr 14:6 A scorner seeketh wisdom, and findeth it not: but knowledge is easy unto him that understandeth.
Pr 15:12 A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.
Pr 19:25 Smite a scorner, and the simple will beware: and reprove one that hath understanding, and he will understand knowledge.
Pr 21:11 When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise: and when the wise is instructed, he receiveth knowledge.
Pr 21:24 Proud and haughty scorner is his name, who dealeth in proud wrath.
Pr 22:10 Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Pr 24:9 The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.
Sure, I have attempted and have repented of being a scorner. I have attempted to distance myself from strife, debate, foolish questions, and even from the scornful. (Psalms 1) However, this one thing is certain- you will reap what you sow even if it is years after. A smoker gets cancer or COPD years after they stop puffing on cigarettes. A former drunk has complications years after they stop drinking. A glutton suffers medical complications after the fact. Strife is a habit. Strife is a choice. Strife is a consequence.

My friend, it is a burdensome thing to cope with, but we will reap that which we sow.

Today, I deactivated my facebook account. Within two weeks I have posted a comment meant to be positive and proactive only to be taken out of context and used to gender strife. I was not fortified in the spirit and I reacted in the flesh rather than in the spirit. I don’t expect that I can outrun my punishment from my past but I can limit the avenues as to how I am being rendered my just reward.

Friends, guard yourself now against strife. Repent of strife and scorning. Pray for me.

No comments: