Thursday, January 26, 2012

Is It Time To Purify The IFB?

I LOVE how his last statement carries such power. CONVICTION does this to a person. "Your Imperial Majesty and Your Lordships demand a simple answer. Here it is, plain and unvarnished. Unless I am convicted [convinced] of error by the testimony of Scripture or (since I put no trust in the unsupported authority of Pope or councils, since it is plain that they have often erred and often contradicted themselves) by manifest reasoning, I stand convicted [convinced] by the Scriptures to which I have appealed, and my conscience is taken captive by God's word, I cannot and will not recant anything, for to act against our conscience is neither safe for us, nor open to us. On this I take my stand. I can do no other. God help me." (Martin Luther) We have seen in the past 50 years how the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement has been carried towards the same principles that we were fleeing from. Noe-orthodoxy, modernism, liberalism, and a decline from dependence on the Word of God alone for our doctrine and instruction in righteousness. We strongly opposed the downward and backsliding trends of the Conventions and Associations which were prominent in America during the early 1900's. We have made it mandatory to clean the outside of the cup while inwardly we are still full of the same poison and vile thoughts and practices which were before our pseudo-conversion. There is MUCH Catholicism in our churches. There is MUCH modernism in our doctrine. There is much to repent over. I tell you this in sincerity and with much sorrow - I don't believe God will, I do not believe God CAN bless or revive the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement again. We are full of our own apostasy and doctrine in so much that we extinguish all hopes of a prosperous and effectual repentance at a national level much less in a world wide frame. Is it time to purify the IFB? Is it possible to have a unified effort by all to change our ways and get back to the book? I believe it is past the time of grace which God has allowed before judgment to fall. It is time to purge ourselves from those among us who make their agenda to be known instead of the Word of God. Those who adhere to man-made doctrine must be excluded and removed from ALL fellowship and ALL cooperation from our midst. The fallacy of the "Independent" Fundamental Baptists is that we do not know what Independent means. We MUST mature to the point where we do not need a national figure or church to pattern after - we must pattern ourselves after Christ! (added) Just because I quote Luther doesn't make me a Lutheran anymore than sitting in a garage makes me a car.

1 comment:

Phil Huber said...

well said, although, I would like to think there is room for repentace.