Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Evidence of Love: Submission (1/15/2012 PM)

Matt 26:36-46, Phil 2:5-8 In Ephesians 5 we see the challenge to the husband and the wife in regards to submission. Wives are to submit to their own husbands as unto the Lord. Husbands also are to submit – but not as the wife submits. The Husband is to submit to “each other” as in submission to the relationship. If a man doesn’t provide for his own he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel (I Tim 5:8). He is to love his wife even as he loves his own body. No man who loves his body will forget to take care of himself. Even so should the husband take it to consideration that the relationship is just one more “notch” on the belt to maintain and develop.We see that this is a type of Christ’s love for the church. Christ’s love for the church is that he submitted for it. He acted in submission. Now, he doesn’t submit to the church, but the church is to submit to Him. He did submit though. Phil 2:5-8. Jesus being the sinless and complete example that God desires us to be and demonstrate teaches us of Christ’s love; yes, even submission to the will of the Father. Here are some statements which describe and define what Submission is taken from our gathering of Matthew 26 where Christ is in the Garden of Gethsemane. 1. Submission is the Surrender of one’s “rights”, priorities, power, will, ambition, and future to another. 2. Submission is accepting whatever plans are given to you by the one you submit to. 3. Submission is never to be countered or taken back – it is total surrender. Now, Christ being our supreme example willingly chose to submit himself for our redemption. Philippians 2 teaches us this very fact – he HUMBLED himself and became obedient even unto the death of the cross. Now, I have heard of an opinion which states that Jesus was plea bargaining with God to not have to go to the cross. This is against the spirit of Christ which set his face as a flint to Jerusalem and often taught his disciples of his death. I believe what Christ was referring to was the whole agonizing ordeal of sin being placed on him and HIM becoming sin for us. It was against his nature to sin, and to look upon sin, yet he became sin for us (II Cor 5:21, Hebrews 12:1-3). Now, we speak often of our love for God but Christ makes a statement which causes us to question our love for God: John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Now, without damaging context whatsoever – let me draw some simple applications from scripture to provide us with some brief yet non-encompassing conclusions which show of our Love for God. 1. We love God when we keep his commandments. 2. We love God when we surrender-submit our “rights”, power, will, ambition and desire to Him – Galatians 2:20/Phil 2:5-8, James 4:1-4, Matt 6:24-34, I Cor 6:19-20, II Cor 6:14-17, Phil 3. 3. We love God when we accept whatever plans God has for us – Romans 8:28-39 4. We love God when we totally yield ourselves to him without “strings attached.” Either he is Lord of all or not Lord at all. Luke 6:46, Matt 26:36-46 My stubborn will at last hath yielded; I would be Thine, and Thine alone; And this the prayer my lips are bringing, Lord, let in me Thy will be done. Sweet will of God, still fold me closer; Till I am wholly lost in Thee; Sweet will of God, still fold me closer, Till I am wholly lost in Thee. I’m tired of sin, footsore and weary, The darksome path hath dreary grown, But now a light has ris’n to cheer me; I find in Thee my Star, my Sun. Thy precious will, O conqu’ring Savior, Doth now embrace and compass me; All discords hushed, my peace a river, My soul, a prisoned bird, set free. Shut in with Thee, O Lord, forever, My wayward feet no more to roam; What pow’r from Thee my soul can sever? The center of God’s will my home. -Leila N Morris

No comments: