Saturday, October 25, 2008

BIBLICAL CHURCH DISCIPLINE


I. the Purpose of Dicipline is three- fold
A. To Remind the BODY of CHRIST (Church) of the severety of sin - I Timothy 1:18-20, I Corinthians 5, Acts 5
B. To Reprove The World Of Sin (a responsibility of the Holy Spirit which he executes through the lives of believers) - John 16:7-11, I Cor 5,
C. To Bring About Repentance in the heart, life, mind of the Wayward Believer- - I Cor 5/II Cor 2, Galatians 6:1
II. The Product of Dicipline is two-fold
A. Done Properly 1. repentance - II Cor 2 2. Restitution/Retribution -Phm 1:15-19 3. Reconcilliation - II Cor 2, Gal 6:1, Phm 1:15-19
B. Refused 1. Cause of Christ Blasphemed - I Cor 5:1-2 2. Corruption In The Church - I Cor 5:6-11
III. Pattern of Dicipline
1. MUST be conducted via the church - I Cor 5:4, II Cor 2:6, Matt 18:15-17
2. MUST be for a legitimate "infraction"
1. Gross Sin
a) Fornication 1) Beastiality 2) incest 3) adultery 4) molestation/pedophilia 5) homosexuality
b) Blasphemy - ( to vilify; specially, to speak impiously:--(speak) blaspheme(-er, -mously, -my), defame, rail on, revile, speak evil) - I Tim 1:20
c) Covetous - ( holding (desiring) more, i.e. eager for gain (avaricious, hence a defrauder):--covetous) - I Corinthians 5:11
d) Extortion - ( rapacious:--extortion, ravening.) - I Cor 5:11
e) Idolatry - (an image- (servant or) worshipper (literally or figuratively):--idolater) - I Corinthians 5:11
f) Railing - (abusive, i.e. a blackguard:--railer, reviler) - I Cor 5:11
g) Drunkenness - (tipsy, i.e. (as noun) a sot:--drunkard) - I Cor 5:11
2. Unresolved differences which cause division- Matthew 18:15-17, Matthew 5:23-24
*** Discipline is not permitted to "Chase away" people who DISAGREE with authority (Romans 14) but those who Avidly, and defiantly stand against or teach against the BIBLE. (Romans 16:17-18, I Tim 1:20) There SHOULD be a span of THREE interventions as Paul duly notes in Titus 3:8 (AFTER THE SECOND ADMONITION REJECT)
If Biblical DISCIPLINE is going to be observed and obeyed, it MUST involve the LOCAL CHURCH, to whom the command and pattern of Discipline was issued.
If it is NOT through the church, Local New Testament Church) it is NOT Biblical.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts, imputs, and questions about this. I will be doing a seperate note on Reconcilliation at a later time.

1 comment:

Heli gunner Tom said...

Hello Friend,
I like your blog! A Christian never has too many friends, and I tend to drift towards other people of like Faith and Trust in God's own Word-- the Bible.
I hope that you will send me your future posts via email.

Cordially,
Tom S
tschuckman@aol.com
Vietnam Vet: 68-70.
Jesus is Lord.