Friday, November 2, 2012

Legalism, Lasciviousness, or Christian Liberty



Romans 14, Titus 2:11-15

Legalism: the preferences, principles, passions and pressures of men to adapt others to their pattern of pseudo-holiness (Tapered hair, pantyhose, open toed shoes, restaurants, colleges, etc.).



Lasciviousness: reckless abandonment of God’s law and direction for our lives under the banner of grace without correction. (Romans 5:1- NO CONDEMNATION!!)



Christian Liberty: the unclear, uncondemned, and unspecified things which are not decreed, suggested, or spoken against within the clear teachings of scripture.


7 things to consider when identifying _____ as legalism, lasciviousness or Christian liberty:


1.       Does the Word of God teach in support or opposition of/to this thing? 2 Tim 2:15
a.       Most people are too lazy to study it out. Answers.com is not studying something out.
2.       Does this action bring glory to God? Scripture declares what honors God. I Cor 10:31
3.       Does this thing promote holiness and separation from the world? I Peter 1:15-16, 2 Cor 6:17, I Cor 6
4.       Does this have a positive affect on others to draw them to Christ if lost and to Christ if saved without compromise on my end? Matt 5:11-16
5.       Does my flesh react when it is preached or spoken against? James 4:1-3
6.       Does this thing have a stronghold in my life and I struggle to surrender it? Romans 6:6,16, Matt 6:24-33
7.       Does this thing bring me closer to God? I Thess 5:24, 2 Tim 2:19, Rom 8:28-29

When it is not mentioned specifically in the Bible then it is bound in principle

No comments: