Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Disillusioned Pastor Part 1


I grew up going to a church where I thought the Pastor was the greatest thing since “Big League Chew.”
He was the Preacher; “The Man of God.” When he got up to preach, it didn’t matter what was going on around us, we glued our eyes to him and hung on to his every word. We sat up straight, took notes, followed along as best as we could as he skillfully raced along in his King James Bible, reading every name and city with the precise pronunciation which surpassed Alexander Scourby himself! If we fell asleep during his message we’d have Dad to deal with when we got home. We went to the restroom before church started or in case of dire emergencies, we went during the song service. We never walked out during the invitation. We never were disruptive. We were taught that this was the most important thing going on at that time. When it came to cleaning the church, we made it our purpose that the toilets were never cleaned by the Pastor. We made it our goal that he would not have to take out the trash. Sweep, mop, dust, or even straighten the songbooks and papers in the pew. In our eyes, the Pastor was the leader and his vision for the church was our passion.
                If he wanted us to go door knocking on a particular street, we were there. If he wanted us to sing a song, we sang. If he wanted us to do something off the cuff we did it. We weren’t blind. We weren’t “yuppies.” We weren’t lapdogs. We were kids who loved the Lord and realized the importance of the Pastor.
                As I grew older, I began to realize the brick wall that the Pastor was beating his head against in my life. I was so set on listening to him that I forgot to practice it. Don’t get me wrong, I had a great discipline at paying attention. My sermon notes were great. I learned how to take notes. I even knew how to apply it to my life. I just never acted upon it. I read my Bible. I prayed. I evangelized. I was heavily involved in Christian service. I manned a bus route. I helped in nursing homes. I preached in Junior Church. I sang in the choir. I helped take the offering. I helped clean the church. I did all these things and yet I didn’t do a thing at all when it came to Christian duty.  I didn’t listen to secular music. I didn’t go to movie houses. I didn’t stare at immodestly dressed girls. I didn’t get into fights. I didn’t smoke, chew, drink, or even have friends that did. I didn’t cuss. I was formatting my life by outside standards while inwardly I was adrift. I was disillusioned at what the Christian Life was all about.

                By the time I left home for college, I was a totally different person. I was still doing all the things above but I was learning that there was so much more to the Christian life than just do. I became aware everyday of who I was supposed to be.  I began asking myself this question “why do I want to do this particular action?” I saw that most of my deeds were for self-glory and not for God’s pleasure.  I was so used to doing things to be seen of men that my worship was horizontal and not vertical. I had been living my life as a farce and in so doing; I was taking God’s name in vain.

                Years passed and my walk with God was strong. I knew God had been molding me to be a pastor. All my life, I was being molded and fashioned for this. God gave me this calling even when I was a child. Some do not believe a child has the capability or the reasoning to discern God’s will for their life. I can tell you that the desire to pastor has been in me as long as I can remember. I knew then and I know now that God wants me to pastor and to preach. 

                Now, what I saw the pastor do and say growing up was totally different than what I could say and do as I took my first pastorate.  I learned this early on in my life that what works in one place won’t necessarily work in another.  There are differences between fundamental practices and personal fancies.  The important thing that any pastor must remember and adhere to is a strict interpretation of God’s Word.  This will keep one from going off into legalism or lasciviousness.

No comments: